30 yr old seahorse skeleton

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Richard

Hello everyone,

Whilst travelling thirty years ago, I worked in a restaurant in Crete gutting fish and found the perfect skeleton of a seahorse inside a fish’s gut. I still have it (pretty amazing considering all the things I’ve lost in that time) and would like to set it in resin, into a table for the campervan I’m currently working on. Do I need to clean the skeleton? Do I need to do anything to it? I haven’t worked out what type of resin to use yet (I’m completely new to this), but I’m hoping the age of it will mean I can simply just set it? Any advice welcome and thanks for such a great site 🙂

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Richard,

What a neat idea! Unfortunately, I don’t have any experience with cleaning a skeleton like this. I would expect it to be well preserved after 30 years, but I don’t really know. If the skeleton changes color in any way when getting wet, then you will need to seal it before including it in the resin. This gloss sealer spray works great: https://shop.resinobsession.com/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray

As for a resin, are you wanting one that will coat your table or are you using a mold? That will best help me with a recommendation.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘30 yr old seahorse skeleton’ is closed to new replies.