Absolute beginner questions!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jo

Hello all, I hope someone might be able to help me. I’m an absolute beginner to resin, and trying not to run before I can walk! I have a couple of questions that I’m struggling to find the answers to online.
      Heat guns – Unsurprisingly, I’ve gotten some small bubbles in my resin despite warming the bottles and stirring gently. The idea of a blow torch frightens me and I don’t want to go there! I’d like to buy a heat gun to disperse my bubbles, as they seem fairly cheaply available online. My question is: the cheaper heat guns I’m looking at say they reach around 200 degrees C – is this hot enough?
      Accurately mixing resin and hardener – I understand how important it is to mix accurately. My resin should be mixed 1:1 by volume. I’m struggling to do this accurately in the little plastic cups with markings on the side. I’ve seen people online using small scales for this, which seemed like a good way of being completely accurate. But I’ve discovered that my resin and hardener weigh differently in the same volume. One is heavier than the other, so 10mls of resin will weigh a different amount to 10mls of hardener. I’m not sure how to get around this? I really want the accuracy of scales. In theory I could weigh 1ml of each, then multiply this by the number of ml I need to figure out what weight I’d need of each, but I can’t accurately measure 1m in my cups! Argh!!!
      Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
      Jo

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jo,

Welcome to the world of resin! You are going to have so much fun!

For heat guns, this is the one I like to use: https://shop.resinobsession.com/products/wow-embossing-multipurpose-heat-tool-heat-gun

You can use a scale to measure your resin and hardener, but as you’ve found out they both weigh differently so you will use them at different rates. The best thing to do is to check in with the manufacturer to see what their advice is on how to use their product by weight.

Jo

Thank you! I’ll email the manufacturer and see what they say.
      The heat gun looks similar to the one I’ve ordered so I’ll see how it goes!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Absolute beginner questions!’ is closed to new replies.