Best Product to Use to Create a Dam for Wood

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Sue Sedlak

Hi,

I’m making some resin items where wood pieces will become the outside of the product. I’m placing the wood pieces on plastic (will remove from plastic after cured) and pouring resin inside of the wood pieces. I know I have to create some kind of a dam around or under the wood so that the resin doesn’t leak out the bottom. I’ve seen both caulk and hot glue used and I’m not sure if there are other ideas. But the wood is kind of fragile and I’m looking to find something that will come off of the wood easily without causing damage to the wood once the resin has cured.

Any suggestions on what to use and how to easily remove?

Thank you,
      Sue

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Sue,

Hot glue is what I use.

If you don’t think that will be strong enough, try ‘contractor’s tape’ from the home improvement store. It’s the same tape they sometimes use with Tyvek.

Sue Sedlak

Thanks Katherine. Do you find it easy to remove hot glue from wood without damaging the wood? If so, can you share your process?

Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Sue,

I find that it doesn’t bother the wood. For me, it’s like peeling off caulk. Kinda rubbery, but will come off in long pieces.

The tape is flashing tape. Knew that would come to me sometime. LOL.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Best Product to Use to Create a Dam for Wood’ is closed to new replies.