Coloring Amazing Casting Resin

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ti’Jana

Hey guys, I was thinking of ordering some amazing casting resin, the kind that is about 16oz and cures in white?

I want to get it, but I not sure because I want a resin that can be colored different colors. Like If i were to mix it with black chalk pastel or pigment powder, would it simply turn grey no matter how much pigment I add in?
      I really want to get this resin, because it cures so fast and it is on the cheaper side, but i need something that I am able to color.
      Katherine Swift

Hi TiJana,

Since the resin you mention is a polyurethane resin, you need to use colorants specifically designed for it.  Polyurethanes dont like moisture, so sometimes they will react poorly with other colorants.  The colors designed for this resin are the Alumilite color pigments:  https://www.resinobsession.com/Alumilite-Liquid-Pigment.html

The black will work very well to color it.

Maddy

Yes I just got this resin recently and you can totally color it with pigments and stuff just NOT acrylic paint cuz that did not go well lol. The second I dropped a lil paint in it turned into lil pieces like tiny peels of glue. But when I added my eyeshadow pigments to it it looked beautiful. Any color you add to it just know that it’ll come out a little more pastel. So if you want a darker color add a lot more color to it. I love pastels and light colors so I’ve never tried to make it a deeper color but I actually used s&t liquid pigment in it I just remember and it worked fine. Dry colors work fine like chalk pastels I just don’t like them bc when I use them to color it never disinigrates completely and I get little tiny spots that won’t dissolve. Acrylic paint is only thing that did not work that i know of.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Here’s a video showing what happens when you use the wrong colorant in this resin:

https://youtu.be/KyIHW4ZasW0

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Coloring Amazing Casting Resin’ is closed to new replies.