Crazy Paving Effect in Topcoat of Curing Resin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Clare Mullins

Hi All.
      I’m very new to Resin but did lots of research and practiced before attempting topcoats on some acrylic pour placemats and coasters. Gifts for Christmas. I waited over three weeks to dry acrylics. I am using Ultracast xt Heat Resistant Resin by Elichem.
      The topcoat went well but there were some impediments so 24hrs later I repoured another coat on all three mats. It looked great but the next day I noticed all pieces had what I can only describe as crazy paving type marks in the resin.Not ripples.
      I don’t know what to do because I’ve mixed extremely carefully even stopped using heat in case it was that. Room temperature was maintained by thermostat in the room. I sanded and poured a third layer after 24hrs exactly the same problem.
      I wonder if the second pour has caused a heat reaction in the resin? Rather than attempting another pour if I allow the mats to cure completely and spray a gloss top coat would that hide/cover the marks. Obviously as curing takes weeks these won’t be ready in time for Christmas but I’d really like to fix it ASAP. Any help would be really appreciated.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Clare,

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by paving. Are you getting holes and dents in your resin or something else?

Clare

Hi. Sorry. I mean that when the light hits it the surface looks like someone has used a pencil and made slight lines all over. Like it is textured not smooth.
      Having done some further research it’s possible I’ve been messing around with the resin instead of leaving it alone after a certain point when it’s already starting to thicken.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

HI Clare, thanks for the extra details.

Yes, that can be a problem along with the resin overheating, then shrinking.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Crazy Paving Effect in Topcoat of Curing Resin’ is closed to new replies.