Drilling through resin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Eric

Hi,
      I’ve made a replacement pick guard for an electric guitar out of resin. It’s an early ‘60s instrument. The original pick guard crumbled and is a rare design. It had holes for 3 knobs and one plug-in jack. These holes need to be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch diameter. The new pick guard I cast is about 1/4” thick. How do I safely drill through the resin without cracking or damaging it? I would have pre-molded the holes, but the electronics were late coming in the mail. I didn’t want to guess the dimensions. Also, I imbedded tiny colored bits of shattered glass throughout the mold for effect. Any help is appreciated.😊
      -Eric

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
      Richard

Hi Eric,

Resin is an easy material to machine. I suggest using spade bits, used for drilling wood.
      Use a thin piece of wood (ply or MDF) as a template, with the several holes already drilled.
      Add another piece of wood under the resin, so as not to damage your work surface.
      Clamp everything down well! Wear a mask, as there will be some dust.

Using drills for metal on holes that size can be tricky if the work is not held down.
      Also, as the drill passes completely thru the material, it can either jam,
      which is not cool for you 🙂 , or tear the material.

Have fun!

Richard

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Drilling through resin’ is closed to new replies.