HELP: After 24hrs honey consistency and questions

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Steph

Sat for 24 hours after pouring, still a honey like consistency…

I gave the resin bottles a warm sink bath before use. Room temperature was not cold but warm. I measured using the side of the silicone mixing container measurements lines to 1:1. I mixed for 3-5 minutes, constantly scraping the sides and bottom and until their were no “wisps” lines left over and let it sit for 10 minutes before pouring.

After 24 hours, I was scraped off the honey like resin, to find the first layer under is hard! It was just the top added batch layer that did not cure and stayed like honey!?

Now the question is, do I now let it sit a couple days and see what happens? If the left over honey like residue is not harden within 72 hours, how would I go about cleaning it 100% completely without ruining the hard cured layer underneath, so I can add a second new layer on top?

The only things I can think of that went wrong was:

A: Adding a second batch mix too soon or too late?

B: Not wiping out the silicone mixing container 100% and or the dry paper towel all contaminating it? Not using acetone to clean the mixing container?

C: Forgetting on the last batch possibly not waiting 10 minutes after mixing and pouring immediately. Is leaving it sit just so bubbles escape or the start of the curing process?

Questions:

Can I make a new batch and pour it on soon after the first batch pour? Do I have to wait a certain amount of time before I want to add more to the already poured?

Does thickness and how much/wide the amount poured matter for time and to add more after effect anything?

Would a small amount of resin rated fine glitter powder mess up the curing? I read not to add 6% more than the amount of resin used?

Does the smell mean it’s a chemical reaction and is not working?

Thank you.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Steph,

I’m sorry this is happening to you. We’ve got a few troubleshooting articles to help: https://www.resinobsession.com/tag/troubleshooting/

Steph

I made two half cm wide layers of 1:1 clear epoxy resin.

First layer cured properly, second I messed up and it stayed as a honey like consistency. I scrapped off as much of the bad honey like mix as best as I could.

Will adding a new batch over the left over bad mix residue inhibit the new mix from curing properly or will the new mix cure properly on top of the left over bad mix residue?
      Thank you.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Steph,

If all the gooey resin is gone, the new layer should do fine.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘HELP: After 24hrs honey consistency and questions’ is closed to new replies.