Is resin appropriate for outdoor plastic bottlecap art project?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Monique Howard

Hi, I havee made a sort of mandala pattern out of plastic bottlecaps (from milk, orange juice containers etc) and don’t know how to join the bottlecaps. I would like to display the bottlecap mandala outside and was wondering whether I poured resin all over it that would be a good option. The plastic bottlecaps are about 15mm high (0.6 inches). I have arranged the pattern within a metal circle from a wine barrel that is 30mm high (about 1.2 inches). I live in Melbourne Australia, so we can have some hot days in summer eg 40C or 104F and winter can go down to 6C or 42.8F.
      Thanks in advance

Monique

PS the diameter of the metal circle is 61.5cm ~ 24 inches

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Monique,

I’m afraid resin isn’t suitable for a project like this. Not only is it going to yellow quickly with the constant UV light exposure, but sitting in a metal pan, the resin is likely to warp and crack.

Monique

Thanks. Just to clarify, its a metal ring not a metal pan. Would it be appropriate for indoors or is it too big?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Keeping a project like this indoors is definitely a better choice. It won’t be exposed to sunlight and temperature changes which will keep it in better shape.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Is resin appropriate for outdoor plastic bottlecap art project?’ is closed to new replies.