Pieces containing plant material

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sam

Hi,

Ive had this idea in my head for a while now and Id really like to try it but never having used resin Im not sure how to go about it.
      Id like to create beads and coasters that are clear but with bits of plants (e.g. seeds) embedded in them.
      I was looking at your beginner kit with super clear resin, would that be suitable?
      I was also looking at a starter kit available in the UK (http://ww.mailorder-beads.co.uk/shop/resin-starter-kit.html#axzz2bejxZO00) would that be better / worse / the same?
      I read on here about dipping items in resin or coating them first to seal them. Would that be the case with seeds etc. too? Which method would be better?
      All the moulds are for solid shapes, how do I get beads with holes through them?
      Will the seeds sink when I put them in the resin?
      Sorry for all the questions at once and thank you for any advice on this! 🙂
      Katherine Swift

Hi Sam,

You’re going to love resin!  It’s so addictive!

Here are my comments to your question.

Our beginner kit is a great way to get started.  It includes our Super Clear Resin, which is great for working in molds. 

You can find it in our shop here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/kits/products/resin-beginner-kit-with-clear-resin

I looked at the other kit you had a link to, and noticed it uses gedeo resin.  Im sorry to say I have no experience with that kind of resin, so I don’t know whether or not it would work.

You will most definitely need to seal your seeds before using them.  I recommend sealing anything organic (meaning carbon based) before using in resin.  Dipping them in resin, then allowing them to cure is a good idea.To make beads out of your pieces, you will need to drill through them once you demold them in order to string them.  You can try using a bead mold, but since you’re a novice, I wouldn’t recommend it.  It can get very frustrating.Since the seeds are heavy, yes they will sink.  If you want them to stay on the surface of your casting, allow the resin to cure for a bit, then add your seeds.

Good luck!

Alice

Just an observation on using seeds. I used some of the very tiny acorns from one of our trees earlier this year. They needed to be rinsed & dried thoroughly but very gently. Otherwise, the reddish brown color got lost in the resin & they just looked black. I agree that its really important to seal each seed in the resin before trying to include them, & putting down a thin layer of resin first helps them to look suspended inside the molded piece. Good luck! Learning these techniques is a blast & totally addictive!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Pieces containing plant material’ is closed to new replies.