Which resin should I be using!?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Grace

Hi all!
      I am new to the resin world but am looking to begin on some craft projects.
      I am wanting to make a sphere that will hopefully become the knob for a gearstick.
      I just do not know what I need! I am aware that resin yellows over time and in my research, I am struggling to find too much information on types that may yellow less quickly.
      Having looked though other posts in the forum, I’m unsure of if UV resin is a good option. In my mind as UV light is used to set it, it should yellow less but I’ve seen it is typically more expensive and better for pouring shallow items- not necessarily a full sphere. Should I be looking at using epoxy instead? I have some earrings that I purchased that sadly yellowed in a matter of weeks so I am also apprehensive about epoxy as a material…
      I am aware that cars are warm environments with lots of sun exposure so is my plan of creating a clear gear knob just impractical?
      Any advice you could provide would be appreciated!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Grace,

Unfortunately, all resins are going to yellow over time. Resins with UV inhibitors and stabilizers help extend the time before yellowing occurs. However, things such as mixing off ratio (even though it still can cure without tackiness), putting over an improperly cured lacquer, excessive heat, and or constant exposure to sunlight can speed up the yellowing process. How long the epoxy will last in its clear state is very difficult to predict.

UV resin isn’t a good choice for a project like this because it’s going to be hard to get the resin to fully cure because of the thickness of your cast.

For a project, like this, I would use the Resin Obsession deep pour epoxy resin. You can pour it up to two inches thick at once and it cures very hard. You can buy it in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-deep-pour-resin

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Which resin should I be using!?’ is closed to new replies.