Wood resin problems

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Brendan

Hi there 

Just wondering if you can help me with some issues I’m having with resin bonding to wood. I’m making resin jewellery and at times when sanding the resin separates/breaks from the wood . Is this a bonding issue or something I’m missing. Also resin shrinkage has lately become an issue , is that room temperature or too much catalyst ?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Sounds like you are using a polyester resin, yes? If so, that tends to shrink, sometimes a lot, especially when using it with wood. Yes, I would try to use less catalyst or switch to a polyurethane resin.

Shaun

Hi, I’m new at working with resin on wood. What tips would you offer for applying resin to an 8 seater dinning room table (rectangular). And what resin would you suggest I used? I’m wanting a clear, natural look to the wood so I will obviously be sanding it down to its original color.

Diana

So i got a sticky spot on my tiles thati epoxyed over. How do i get rid ofthe sticky?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

If it’s only a little tacky, recoat with another layer of resin.

Amit Jaiswal

Is polyester Resin is crystal clear after drying? and what is the chemical composition of epoxy resin?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Amit,

Yes, polyester resin is clear after casting.

Epoxy resins have different chemical compositions. The best way to find out the chemical composition is to request a safety data sheet for the one you are using. One of the first sections in the sheet will detail the chemical composition.

Radha

I want to use resin for my office consulting table which is wooden. I want to create river effect on table so for that i am using wood. Please sugest me which is the best resin for wooden table top?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hello Radha,

Do you want to simply coat the tabletop or work the resin after it has cured?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Wood resin problems’ is closed to new replies.